// Rafting in Zanskar
Duration - 8days
Grade - III & IV
Minimum no. of Pax: 08
Join River Rats in an adrenalin rush that takes you down the highest commercially rafted waterfall in the world. Fast and furious, this exhilarating ride moves you through foamy water and over the awesome drop.
The expedition on the Zanskar river is completely self supported, and passes through the steep gorges carved out by the river over countless years. The Zanskar gorge has been referred to as the "Grand Canyon" of Asia by many explorers. The river is graded Class IV, and it passes through very remote and difficult to acess terrain of Ladakh. The river's water is very cold(around 7 degrees Celcius), and cold water gear like wet suits etc are necessary.
This trip is a combination of the experience of Jeep Safari, Monastery visits, and rafting in one of the most exotic and isolated gorges of the world. Enroute we would be visiting the Lamayuru Monastery, Rangdum Monastery, Karsha Gompa and Alchi Monastery.
- Day 01 : Early morning pickup from Leh Hotel, drive to Kargil. Enroute visit the beautiful Lamayuru monastery. Overnight stay would be at Kargil in Hotel/Camp.
- Day 02 : Drive to Kargil to Rangdum. Camp would be set-up in lish green meadows near the Rangdum Gompa. Late afternoon one can take a stroll, and visit the monastery.
- Day 03 : Drive grom Rangdum over the Pensi-La(14500Ft) to Remala. Overnight camp at Remala.
- Day 04 : Rafting Remala to Karsha. Rafting expedition starts from Remala on the stod river. Today is an easy class II kind of section to introduce any first time paddlers. Camp is set near the Karsha monastery. Late afternoon a visit to the monastery.
- Day 05 : Karsha to Pidmu. Easy section on the river. Camp is established at Pidmu. One can explore the nearby small villages.
- Day 06 : Pidmu to Neyarak. The river picks up pace, and creates a series of class III kind of rapids. Camp is set at Neyarak.
- Day 07 : Neyarak to Lamamguru. The gorge narrows down. We run several class III/IV rapids. There is a beautiful waterfall at the confluence of Markha river and Zanskar river. We would be stopping for lunch here. Overnight camp would be at Lamaguru.
- Day 08 : Lamaguru to Nimmu. Another action packed day with several class III+ rapids and couple of class IV as well. The raft trip finishes at Nimmu, where the Zanskar river confluences with Indus. We would drive to Leh (about 60kms), visiting Alchi monastery on the way.
Test the time and blast off... Rock the raft and glide with pride. Warm culture & hot Paddling